Atha's Story

Text size

Funeral services for Atha Meigs are 10:30 am, Wednesday September 7, 2016, at 29 Eleven Church. Officiating are the Reverends Terry Stone and Pat Freeman. Pallbearers are Todd Hayes, Robert Johnson, Gustavo Rodriguez, Ossie Moore, Kent Reed and Archie Vance. Honorary pallbearers are William Doyle and Alex Kip. Interment will follow at 1:00 pm at Fort Gibson National Cemetery under the care of Green Country Funeral Home.

Atha Meigs--great-great grandson of Chief John Ross--passed away at his Park Hill home on August 30, 2016 at the age of 94. He is survived by his wife of 68 years, Thelma Meigs; daughter Mary; son-in-law Gustavo Rodriguez; grandchildren, Clairelise, Kathleen and Caroline, and numerous nieces, nephews and cousins.
Ramona McNeill (niece), Quanah Hayes (niece), Quanah's husband Todd and Reverend Judith Roach were with Atha through his final moments.

Born at Park Hill in 1921 to Carrie and Boone Meigs, Atha had 3 older brothers--Hooley, Chief, Boone Jr.--and a younger sister, Jenny. Atha graduated from Chilocco Indian School in 1940 and was inducted into the Army in 1942. He served in the European Theater in Germany and France. During the Battle of the Bulge, he spent 240 combat days as the radio operator/vehicle commander in a 4-man armored reconnaissance vehicle called "As You Was" by its crew. Regarding the challenges faced then, he said, "They told you what to do, and it was yours to get it done. But there was always someone to help."

Honorably discharged in 1946, he began working in California. A year after marrying Thelma in 1947, he became a Christian and began a life of faithful service to the Lord. He stayed the course of following Christ and helping others the rest of his life.

Atha worked as a federal civil service Fire Chief at Point Mugu Naval Air Station. After a 29-year career, he retired and moved back to Oklahoma. His truly favorite "job," however, was being "Papa" to his granddaughters in San Diego. He and Thelma regularly wintered in California to care for them.

Atha saw almost a century of change. His first "technology" was an old Victrola for which they had only 3 records. Over his life span, man landed on the moon, computers revolutionized the world and people began using bits of plastic to buy goods. But the essentials never changed for Atha. Time to be in God's house, be with family, show friendship, and appreciate nature was always of greatest priority. He loved to connect with people through a funny story, witty remark or a good conversation describing the bustling Park Hill of long ago.

We so deeply love and miss him, yet hope abides. As his cousin Jay says, "He is much better now than he ever was." We'll see his smile again when we're reunited in heaven.
Published on September 2, 2016
Send flowers
in memory of Atha
See more

Obituary published in